Friday 20 June 2008

Apparently, I live in a textual world

Interesting revelation. Where "interesting" has a value somewhere between "so what?" and "now that says a lot about personal usage patterns and deserves investigating!" depending upon whether you work for Nokia or don't even know who they are.

I have just gone to pay my monthly mobile bill and, as is my habit, downloaded the complete usage pattern for that month so that I could throw it into a spreadsheet and see if I'm actually getting value (I know, I'm a geek).

This is the interesting part: There were four voice calls listed. Just four. A couple of Retrieve Voicemail, a few Deliver Voicemail (which I don't get charged for anyway, so I don't know why they were there), but the rest were TXT or PKT, which is "packet data" - mobile internet. I just don't call people from mobile. If I'm at home I use the landline, if I need to contact someone with a mobile I send a text in case they're busy or driving or something.

The "phone" part of "mobile phone" really is getting subsumed in the "portable computer that does really cool stuff" part.

No comments:

Search This Blog