Monday, 20 July 2009
This has been awhile: Another Microsoft failure
I have been so successful at avoiding Microsoft products lately that they haven't had an opportunity to seriously annoy me.
But some people just have to try and drag me back in.
My work insists upon using Outlook Web Access for out of office email which, considering my at-home employment, includes me.
I have asked most of my colleagues to use my personal address, which has the added advantage that I check it, but I still occasionally get emails through Outlook and they occasionally have Excel files attached.
And this is where the story really starts or, if you prefer, the plot starts to smell like a two-month-old egg.
For Outlook Web Access, being a Microsoft product, attempts to display the Excel (a Microsoft format) file in-line. Which would be fine, although it works atrociously (by which I mean barely at all, it loses basically all formatting) but for one thing.
There's no option to download the attached file. I swear, there isn't, I've looked everywhere.
Which means no downloading it to work on, and, which is the big problem in my case, no printing a version which works.
The only option I have is to view it as a web page, which restores all the formatting by converting the Excel to HTML. Which is just silly, and not all that helpful.
Nice going, Microsoft. You fail at providing intranet email solutions.