Friday 14 March 2008

I'm helping pay for what exactly?

This really pisses me off.

I have just received a letter from MBF telling me that thanks to an increasing cost of payouts to members, my health insurance premiums are about to go up again. Along with which there was a notification of improved and added services: Increases in various optical care limits, which I will benefit from, and:

MBF MemberCare services will now include chiropractors.

This is the part that really pisses me off. Chiropractic therapy is based upon a deeply flawed theory of illness derived by an idiot who clearly knew nothing about any scientific processes and made one observation, once, which gave him an idea. Chiropractic treatments are not just useless, they're actively dangerous, having been linked to instances of stroke and crippling neck pain (ironic, that). And now a nation-wide provider of financial health care assistance is legitimising this pursuit of charlatans and dangerous fools by funding members using funds partly provided by me.

I think I would be justified in complaining about that. Surely if a medical insurance organisation are going to pay out for somebody else's medical care, they should have some expectation of that care being effective and preventing the need for future payouts? Chiropractic has comprehensively failed to provide any proof of any efficacy outside of the placebo effect.

I'd go looking for an alternative provider, but I have a sinking feeling that I won't receive any joy anywhere else either.

No comments:

Search This Blog